NRMP® Policies during the SOAP and the Main Residency Match
The Post-Match SOAP® can be a difficult and frustrating few days. You wouldn’t want to make a tough situation worse by unwittingly breaking any of NRMP’s® policies. Below is a list of NRMP® Policies to be aware of which affect residency candidates during the SOAP and the Main Residency Match®.
**Please Note: Breaking NRMP’s policies can lead to a violations investigation and subsequent 1 to 3 year, or permanent ban from NRMP. Candidates who are flagged by NRMP suffer greatly during following Match Seasons.
- First, you must be eligible for SOAP in order to participate
- Click to review eligibility requirements
- Remember, SOAP-ineligible applicants may not apply to SOAP programs until after SOAP concludes at 9pm EST on Thursday of Match Week
- Residency candidates may not initiate contact with programs
- Programs must initiate the first contact with candidates
- Those acting on behalf of a residency candidate may not contact programs either. For example, a medical school may not talk to a program to promote their student
- YOU MAY NOT SHARE THE LIST OF UNFILLED PROGRAMS or any other Match information from or maintained in the R3 system with any individual
- SOAP participating candidates may not apply to programs outside of SOAP until after SOAP ends
- If extended an offer during an Offer Round, you have two hours to Accept or Deny. After those 2 hours, the offer will disappear
- Accepting a residency position through the SOAP is a binding agreement to begin training at the residency program July 1st the year of The Match®
- Unless you obtained a waiver from NRMP
- All SOAP residency program applications and other materials pertaining to the application must go through ERAS®
- All applicants must provide complete and accurate, personal and professional information through their application
- Applicants cannot apply, discuss, interview with or accept any residency position outside the Match after the Rank Order List Deadline
- Finally, do not initiate a chargeback for any of NRMP’s Match fees. NRMP may ban applicants who attempt to initiate a chargeback from The Match
These are only the policies most relevant to the Main Residency Match® and Post-Match SOAP for residency candidates. Be sure to review the full Match Participation Agreement to make sure you fully understand what is expected of you as a residency candidate.
Questions about the SOAP? You can give us a call at (858)-221-8510 or send an email to email@example.com! We look forward to hearing from you.
The NATIONAL RESIDENT MATCHING PROGRAM®, The NRMP®, SUPPLEMENTAL OFFER AND ACCEPTANCE PROGRAM®, and SOAP® are registered trademarks of National Resident Matching Program. THE MATCH™ is a trademark of National Resident Matching Program. ResidencyPrep, LLC and this page are not sponsored by, endorsed by, or affiliated with National Resident Matching Program.