NRMP 2022 Main Residency Match Highlights and Data
Match Day is one of the most exciting days of any medical student’s career. It is the culmination of countless hours of work and dedication and marks both the end of one journey and the beginning of another. Now, you can read about the 2022 Match highlights below.
In 2022, the Match looked different than it ever had before. Firstly, this was the 2nd year of virtual interviews and ERAS introduced a new supplemental application. Secondly, there were a record number of U.S. MD and U.S. DO senior applicants and the largest number of total and first-year positions offered thus far. In addition, the match rates for U.S.-citizen and non-U.S. citizen IMGs both increased compared to last year. It was truly a phenomenal year for the Match!
Let’s take a look at the 2022 Match Highlights:
- The 2022 Main Residency Match included 39,205 total positions, the largest number on record
- Applicants filled 36,943 of 39,205 positions – record highs for both categories
- The number of first-year residency positions offered in 2022 increased by 1083 (up 3.1% compared to 2021) to 36,277
- 2,262 positions were left unfilled at the beginning of the Post-Match SOAP, a 19.6% increase from 2021
2022 IMG Match Trends
- 7,917 IMGs Matched in 2022 – resulting in 21.4% of Matched candidates being IMGs
- ECFMG reports the participation of 12,912 IMGs applying for PGY1 positions – a decrease of 326 IMGs compared to 2021
- 7,670 IMGs applying for PGY-1 positions Matched out of the 12,912 total – resulting in a 59.4% PGY1 IMG Match rate
Top 5 IMG-Friendly Specialties
|Specialty||% Matched by US IMGs|
|Specialty||% Matched by Non-US IMGs|
First, all USMLE Step 1 scores reported on or after January 26, 2022 will be reported as Pass or Fail only.
Second, the passing score for Step 2CK exams will change from 209 to 214 for examinees testing on or after July 1, 2022.
ECFMG Certification Pathways
Similar to 2021, six Pathways will be offered for ECFMG certification in 2023. Detailed information relevant to the 2023 Pathways can be found here.
Celebrating the Success of Matched IMGs
Congratulations to those IMGs who persevered and Matched in 2022! The road is never easy, and your success serves as an inspiration to all future IMG applicants.
Would you like to learn more about how to succeed in Matching as an IMG? Hear all about it straight from successful residency applicants just like you. Watch some of our IMG Success Story Interviews – now available on YouTube!
We hope you enjoyed learning about the 2022 Match Highlights. Keep reading for information on how to succeed in this year’s Match.
Finally, if you are applying for the 2022-2023 Match Cycle, now is the time to start planning ahead. From editing Personal Statements and reviewing Letters of Recommendation to polishing your written sections of the MyERAS Application, Residency Experts is here to support you every step of the way: Planning Ahead for Residency Application Success – Residency Experts.
Access for the 2022-2023 Match Cycle is now available through Match A Resident. We compare your unique applicant criteria (USMLE scores, years since graduation, USCE, and visa status) to programs’ requirements and preferences, saving you countless hours of research. Explore your Customized List of residency programs today!
If you have questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you!