ERAS Residency Application 2021 Match Highlights (NRMP Data)
Match Day is one of the most exciting days of any medical student’s career. It is the culmination of countless hours of work and dedication and marks both the end of one journey and the beginning of another. Read about the 2021 Match highlights below.
In 2021, the Match looked different than it ever had before. Essentially, the Covid-19 pandemic meant applicants faced many changes and adjustments including delays in USMLEs, the cancellation of Step 2CS, and the introduction of virtual interviews. Despite all this, it was truly a phenomenal year for the Match!
Let’s take a look at the 2021 Match Highlights:
- The NRMP reports 2021 was the largest match in its history
- 36,179 of 38,106 positions were filled – record highs for both categories
- The number of first-year residency positions offered in 2021 increased by 928 (up 2.7% compared to 2020) to 35,194
- 1,927 positions were left unfilled at the beginning of the Post-Match SOAP, a 3.6% decline from 2020
2021 IMG Match Trends
- 7,843 IMGs Matched in 2021 – resulting in 21.7% of Matched candidates being IMGs
- ECFMG reports the participation of 13,238 IMGs applying for PGY-1 positions – an increase of 1,164 IMGs compared to 2020
- 7,508 IMGs applying for PGY-1 positions Matched out of the 13,238 total – resulting in a 56.7% PGY-1 IMG Match rate
Top 5 IMG-Friendly Specialties
|Specialty||% Matched by US IMGs|
|Specialty||% Matched by Non-US IMGs|
Step 2CS Updates
With the permanent discontinuation of USMLE Step 2CS, the ECFMG has verified plans to continue and to expand the ECFMG Alternative Pathways from the most recent cycle. Accordingly, there are 6 Alternative Pathways available for the 2022 Match.
Celebrating the Success of Matched IMGs
Congratulations to those IMGs who persevered and Matched in 2021! The road is never easy, and your success serves as an inspiration to all future IMG applicants.DD
Would you like to learn more about how to succeed in Matching as an IMG? Hear all about it straight from successful residency applicants just like you. Watch some of our IMG Success Story Interviews – now available on YouTube!
We hope you enjoyed learning about the 2021 Match Highlights. Keep reading for information on how to succeed in this year’s Match.
If you are applying for the 2021-2022 Match Cycle, now is the time to start planning ahead. From editing Personal Statements and reviewing Letters of Recommendation to polishing your written sections of the MyERAS Application, Residency Experts is there to support you every step of the way: Planning Ahead for Residency Application Success – Residency Experts.
Access for the 2021-2022 Match Cycle is now available through Match A Resident. We compare your unique applicant criteria (USMLE scores, years since graduation, USCE, and visa status) to programs’ requirements and preferences, saving you countless hours of research. Explore your Customized List of residency programs today!
If you have questions, contact us at 858-221-8510 or email us your question or phone number at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you!