NRMP® Policies during the SOAP and the Main Residency Match
The Post-Match SOAP® can be a difficult and frustrating few days. You wouldn’t want to make a tough situation worse by unwittingly breaking any of NRMP’s® policies. Below is a list of NRMP® Policies to be aware of which affect residency candidates during the SOAP and the Main Residency Match®.
**Please Note: Breaking NRMP’s policies can lead to a violations investigation and subsequent 1 to 3 year, or permanent ban from NRMP. Candidates who are flagged by NRMP suffer greatly during following Match Seasons.
- You must be eligible for SOAP in order to participate.
- Click to review eligibility requirements
- SOAP-ineligible applicants may not apply to SOAP programs until after Thursday, March 16th at 11 a.m. (EST)
- Residency candidates may not initiate contact with programs
- Programs must initiate first contact with candidates
- Those acting on behalf of a residency candidate may not contact programs as well. For example, a medical school may not talk to a program to promote their student.
- Those who are granted access to the List of Unfilled Programs MAY NOT SHARE THE LIST with any SOAP-ineligible candidates
- SOAP participating candidates may not apply to programs outside of SOAP until after 11 a.m. Thursday, March 16th.
- If extended an offer during an Offer Round, you have two hours to Accept or Deny— after those 2 hours, or the offer will disappear.
- Accepting a residency position through the SOAP is a binding agreement to begin training at the residency program July 1st the year of The Match®
- Unless you obtained a waiver
- See NRMP for waiver requirements
- All SOAP residency program applications must go through ERAS®
- All applicants must provide complete and accurate, personal and professional information through their application
- Applicants cannot apply, discuss, interview with or accept any residency position outside of NRMP after the Rank Order Deadline (Feb. 22nd)
- Do not initiate a chargeback for any of NRMP’s fees. Applicants who attempt to chargeback NRMP will be banned from The Match
These are only the policies most relevant to the Main Residency Match® and Post-Match SOAP for residency candidates. Be sure to review the full Match Participation Agreement to make sure you fully understand what is expected of you as a residency candidate.