How to Create and Certify a Rank Order List
Below is a Step-by-Step Guide for creating and certifying a Rank Order List (ROL) on NRMP®. Please note, there are two types of Rank Order Lists:
Primary = Used to rank Categorical, Preliminary, or Advanced positions.
Supplemental = If you have ranked an Advanced position, you may create a Supplemental list that only has Preliminary positions to complete a full training course (Preliminary year + Advanced program).
To Create a Primary Rank Order List
Step 1: Proceed to NRMP’s website.
- Be sure to register first and pay the registration fee (Standard fee: $80, Additional $50 after November 30th)
- Once you’ve registered and paid, go ahead and Log In
Step 2: Click on the “My Rank Order List” tab in the left hand menu
- On your Primary List page you will see any programs you have ranked as well as the most recently Rank Order List you have created and certified
- If you have not certified a list yet, your status in the top right will be RANKING
- If you have certified a list, your status will be CERTIFIED
Step 3: Add Programs
- If you know the program’s NRMP code (this is NOT the same as the program’s ACGME code), enter it into the box and click “Add and Save” to add it to your list
- If you do not know the program’s NRMP code
- Click the “Find and Add Programs” tab next to the “Primary Rank Order List” tab
- You will be prompted to select the Specialty, Program Type and Location of the program
- When you find the program, select the “Add” button next to the program name
- Click the “Add Selected Program to ROL and Save” button
Step 4: Complete Adding Programs and Make Changes
- You may add up to 20 unique programs on your Primary List and 20 unique programs on Supplemental Lists with no additional cost. Each additional program after 20 is $30.
- You may make changes at any time
- All changes are immediate
- Adjust the program order by using the “Drag and Drop” function at the far left
- Delete programs using the red X to the far right
To Create a Supplemental List
Creating a Supplemental Rank Order List is very similar to the Primary Rank Order List process. There are only a few additional steps. **Remember, you must have an Advanced program listed in your Primary Rank Order List to create a Supplemental Rank Order List (ROL). You may only include Preliminary or Transitional programs on this list.
Step 1: Add an Advanced program to your Primary ROL
Step 2: Under the “Suppl ROL” column on your Primary Rank Order List and in the Advanced program’s row, select “Add New” in the Drop Down Menu
Step 3: Go to the newly added “Supplemental Rank Order List” tab next to your Primary List tab
Step 4: Search and Add programs like you did with the Primary list
To Certify Your Lists
Once you have added programs to your Rank Order List (ROL), you must Certify your list. Your most updated list must be Certified by 9 p.m. (Eastern time) February 21, 2018, to be included in The Match®. This is the Rank Order List Deadline. After this, if you forgot to certify, you will be withdrawn from The Match.
Step 1: Click the orange “Certify List” button
Step 2: Read over the Summary
- You will be informed of how many programs per list you have Ranked
- If you owe any fees, you will be informed of how much you must pay
- After certifying, if you have any outstanding fees, you will be brought to the payment page**
**Some Brief Notes About Payment:
- Be sure you have paid off any fees owed before the Rank Order Deadline or you will not be entered into The Match.
- There are no refunds. Even if you pay for more programs and decide to delete them later, your money will not be returned
- DO NOT CHARGEBACK. If you pay NRMP and initiate a chargeback, you will be banned from The Match
Step 3: Enter your Password and Submit
- Your status will be changed from RANKING to CERTIFIED at the top right and your most recently Certified Rank Order List (ROL) will appear on your “My Rank Order List” page
- YOU MAY MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR LIST AT ANY TIME
- You may change your Certified list until the Rank Order Deadline has passed
- You must Re-Certify any changes– NRMP does not save any previous lists and will only use the most recently Certified list in The Match
If you have any additional questions beyond what is covered in this guide, NRMP has many resources and guides available at: http://www.nrmp.org/ranking-residency-programs/
(Content Updated: January 5, 2018).